ICAERUS Partner, The Open University is looking for a research fellow to work on the project!
The Open University is the UK’s largest university, a world leader in flexible part-time education combining a mission to widen access to higher education with research excellence. For this role, a hybrid working pattern is anticipated. This role involves working on the ICAERUS project and will also require trips to partner institutions to complete the required research as aligned to the funding and project plan.
Unit: Faculty of Business and Law (FBL)
Salary: £28,762 – £34,308
Location: Milton Keynes
Please quote reference: 20805
1 x Part Time, Fixed Term until 30 Jun 2026 – 32 hrs/week approx (0.86 FTE)
Closing Date: 6 April, 2023 – 12:00
Key Information about the Role
Applications are invited for a Research Fellow to work on the Horizon Europe-funded project ICAERUS (Innovations and Capacity Building in Agricultural Environmental and Rural UAV Services) in the Open University Business School with Drs Giacomo Carli, Kristen Reid and Despoina Filiou. In this project, the candidate will combine a desk-based study with empirical research, to develop methodology, undertake data collection and analysis, and develop learning materials.
This is an exciting opportunity for a researcher with interest in technical and business fields as the ICAREUS project partners span multiple sectors in civil society, including governance bodies, NGOs, higher education institutions, business partners and community development organisations. The post holder will have experience of academic research within the social sciences, notably in business, management, community and/or international development, economics, organisational psychology, or organisation studies.
The candidate will also be expected to develop their own professional skills, in particular, they will be offered opportunities to develop their research skills and gain valuable experience in learning design and online pedagogies.
Candidates must have completed a Masters in a subject closely relevant to the project.
The post is funded until 30 June 2026 and is available ideally with a start date of 1st June 2023. The successful candidate will be based in the Open University Business School at the campus in Milton Keynes with flexible homeworking. The full summary of duties and person specification can be found within the Job Description.
Skills and experience
- A first degree or equivalent experience, ideally in a social science or other discipline of relevance to the research project
- Masters qualification in a relevant subject area
- Experience of qualitative and/or quantitative research in a social science context
- Qualitative analysis skills such as NVIVO
- Quantitative analysis skills, such as SPSS
- Computer literacy and ICT competence
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communications skills
- Capable of taking responsibility for own elements of work within a team framework
- Evidence of an ability to produce work to agreed quality and within tight deadlines
- A commitment to, and understanding of, equal opportunities policies and practices
- A willingness to work collaboratively with partners and stakeholders
- Academic expertise in aspects of learning (e.g. individual, professional, organisational, L & D improvement).
- Demonstration of knowledge of the current context of drone uses
If you would like to discuss the application or recruitment process before making an application, please contact the Resourcing Hub on 01908 655544 or quoting the role title.